Tuesday, 23 September 2008

Baju Raya?

I am beyond sick and tired of explaining this to people, so I'm just going to write it here once and for all so that people will STOP BLOODY ASKING, thank you very much.

So, let's begin this school-styled essay, complete with point forms. Ahem.

Hari Raya And What It Means To Me

1. Family Relations

If you didn't already know, my Mum is Chinese, and my Dad is Malay. We are close to Mum's side of the family, but we barely know Dad's side. I am probably the only one among my siblings who has a clear idea of what our Tok (our grandmother, and Dad's mom) looks like. The only relative on Dad's side we are all familiar with is Mak Su, Dad's youngest sister. She's the one who helps drive Nina and Hasif to and from school and tuition. With a fee, of course.

And if you're wondering why we're so estranged from Dad's family, all I will tell you is that there was a falling out between Tok and Mum. Said falling out involved money issues. And that's all you need to know.

2. Balik Kampung

We do not balik kampung. I think we used to, when I was smaller, like 6 or younger. My siblings have never been back to Dad's hometown. Every Raya, Dad takes a plane back to Alor Setar. Alone. The rest of us stay home and keep Mum company. None of us feel even slightly tempted to go back and awkwardly hang about a strange house with a bunch of people we have never met before in our lives.

3. Baju Raya

I get this question a lot every Raya. I suppose it's a normal question to ask most typical Malays, but it annoys me somewhat.

"Have you bought your baju raya yet?"

No, I have not. Nor am I likely to. I do not even need baju raya. Where would I wear it to? It seems somewhat extravagant to me to wear baju kurung and sit around the house playing PS2 all day.

Also, please note that I do not own a single piece of traditional clothing. I'm thinking of getting a nice baju kurung/kebaya/kebarung/etc, though. It seems kind of silly to borrow my romommate's baju kurung whenever there's a formal event that requires it. I'm clueless as to where to buy a nice one, though. Most of the ones I've seen just look like crap. If anyone wants to help me go shopping for one, I'd appreciate it.

4. Visiting

Mum has a close friend, whom we visit every Raya Aidilfitri and Haj. She's a really nice lady, and her cooking just pwns. XD Her family is pretty cool, too. Her granddaughters are so cute!

Oh, and other than that, we don't visit anyone else.

5. Duit Raya

We do not get duit raya. Well, except from that friend of Mum's I mentioned a while ago.

So, while some of my friends may count profits of RM1000 or more during Raya, me and my siblings count ourselves lucky that we even get RM10. RM20-RM30 happens sometimes, but those sometimes are very rare.

Therefore, do not give me that bs about how I'm so lucky, being able to get angpows for Chinese New Year AND duit raya for Raya AND Christmas presents for Christmas. It just isn't as nice as you might think. I'll elaborate on the other two celebrations when they come up.

Conclusion

Thus, while Raya mornings to a typical Malay family may mean happy things like duit raya, baju raya, ketupat and whatever other stereotypical things one might associate with a stereotypical Malay holiday, me and my family will wake up on Raya afternoon and just excitedly run downstairs into the kitchen, happy that we can eat breakfast at noon again. LOL

While our version of Raya may seem sad to some of you people, you know what? We don't bloody care. As far as I'm concerned, we enjoy our holiday just as much as everyone else. Just because we don't enjoy it exactly the same way as everyone else, doesn't mean we enjoy it any less.

For the record, I do not think of myself as Malay, even though my Dad is Malay. I don't think of myself as Chinese, even though I have more Chinese blood than Malay. So don't stereotype me, or categorize me as one of any of those.

I'm just me.

Oh, and if you just so happen to be wondering at the moment which format of school-type essay I was following, that would be none. 8D I'm just so full of bs sometimes, ain't I? hahahaha

1 comment:

iLLy Ramudzan said...

subang parade bnyk baju kurung/kebaya cantik2..

owh, speaking of raya. come and raya at my house this year!! i tak balik kampung... lol